Adolf Galland Fighter General

Adolf Galland was born on the 19 March 1912 in Westerholt, Westfalen. Galland was interested in aviation from a young age and at the age of 19 Galland  was already gliding, by the age of 32 he was listed in a school to train future Luftwaffe pilots. 

Galland crashed once in training injuring his eye and face. The eye injury impaired his vision to the point where he couldn't read the eye chart, but so strong was Galland's desire to fly that he memorized the eye chart. 

In August 1937 he was promoted to to the rank of Oberleutnant and volunteered for action in Spain with the Condor Legion.  Galland flew 300 ground support sorties, however, he failed to score any victories during this time -  this was mainly due to the planes obsolescence he flew.

 In appreciation for his efforts Galland was presented the Spanish Cross in gold and diamonds.  During September 1939, Galland was involved in the invasion of Poland, flying ground attack missions as he did in Spain.  By this time Galland was hungry for a transfer to the Jagdwaffe (fighter wing). He was later assigned to JG27 .  Galland scored his first victory on the 12th of May 1940  with Lt. Gustav Rodel, they attacked eight RAF Hurricanes with Galland downing two of these.  In all Galland scored 16 victories in the French campaign.  After France fell, Galland was transferred to JG26. Galland scored two more victories on his first mission in this new unit. The Battle of Britain erupted in the Summer of 1940 and on the 25th of September, Galland had scored his 40th victory - it was at this time that he become one of the top aces within the Luftwaffe. By the 1st of November Galland had scored his 50th kill.


Galland was renowned for his cigar smoking -  Even the Micky Maus on the fuselage! 

It was rumoured that Galland had written a special order to permit himself to smoke in the cockpit of his aircraft! The story goes that his Messerscmitt even had a cigar lighter and a cigar holder!

On the 22nd June 1941, Bristol Blenheims,   escorted by Spitfires and Hurricanes,  attacked German airfields in France. Galland was one of the first to score by shooting down a Blenheim and minutes later another bomber.  However, before he could recover, two Spitfires had formed on his tail -  hits were scored.  Galland made a belly landing and was picked up and returned  to the  JG26 airfield where he ate lunch and returned to the battle -  again he was quick to score a Spitfire. Here Galland made a serious mistake, he followed the Spitfire down to confirm the kill and as he did this he was attacked by another Spitfire. He  wounded  his legs and arms as the Spitfire peppered Galland's messerschmitt. Bail out was his only option after slamming the canopy open.  Galland hurled himself out only for his parachute to be caught on the radio antenna, and Galland then found himself being dragged to earth by his flaming plane - finally it broke loose. He was rescued by French farmers who cared for him until the Germans arrived, so there it was, shot down twice in a day !!!

Shortly after the above happened, German and British pilots engaged in a free for all over France. The fighter leader for the RAF  was none other than the legendry Douglas Bader. It was here that Bader was shot down -  leaving one of his artificial  legs in the cockpit of his Spitfire, the other broke on impact from his bail out. 

It was said that Galland arranged for the famous drop of Baders new legs. By this time Galland had been catapulted to General of the Fighter Arm - he was the youngest general in the German armed forces. This is where Galland found himself constantly at odds with Goering. In March 1945 Goering had Galland dismissed as General Of  The  Fighter Arm. It was at this stage that Galland returned to combat, flying the Me262.  Galland was now flying with the famous JV 44, leading the elitist group of fighter pilots in the world.

Galland scored his last victory, his 104th, in this jet. After Germany surrendered, Galland was taken to England where again he met Bader, Galland was held as a POW until 1947.